We offer many opportunities throughout the year for you to serve either here at the church, in the community, or around the world. Following are a few of the local ministries you might consider:
- Food Pantry: Olive Knolls Church helps stock the Food Pantry located in a nearby apartment complex. We ask the congregation to bring non-perishable food items to help keep the pantry stocked.
- Morning Star Fresh Food Ministry: Bakersfield is ranked #1 in the nation for food hardship. Once a month, we need delivery drivers to transport the food boxes of nutritious food to families who are struggling to put food on the table.
- Beardsley Outreach: Multiple opportunities are available to minister in one of the most blighted areas in the community. Men and women are needed to help on the Adopt-a-Block ministry to minister to the individuals who live there and to help facilitate Bible Studies in the area. In addition from time to time, we have neighborhood clean-up days to help clean trash and debris that has accumulated and neighborhood prayer walks.
Currently we are collecting the following items (new and/or gently used and clean) to help our friends make it through the winter: gloves, hats & beanies, jackets, blankets, sleeping bags, tarps, dark colored socks, and underwear (new please).
- Back to School Bash: Olive Knolls, along with the management at Springwood Court Apartments and the local Kiwanis Club, host a Back-to-School party at the apartment complex. In addition to food, games, and inflatable fun, children are able to go into the school supply shop and choose new backpack and school supplies.
- Feed the Homeless: Members of the church help provide food for lunchbags to be delivered to the homeless.
- Serve Day: Once a year we set aside a day in which we have church in the community by serving at various locations such as: Beardsley, feeding the homeless, working on projects on campus, visiting shut-ins, encouraging the public servants, etc. This year's Serve Day was October 8th.
- Christmas Tree Delivery: With gratitude to a local oil company, Olive Knolls has the privilege to deliver Christmas Trees to individuals and families who are struggling.
- Olive Tree: This ministry helps provide families with gifts for their children at Christmas time.
Thanksgiving Outreach: For many years, Olive Knolls has partnered with other churches and organizations to help provide a Thanksgiving meal to individuals and families who are not able to have a Thanksgiving meal. This year we are partnering with The Bridge Church and Morning Star Food Delivery to provide meals for 1,000 families. Your help is needed in many areas: Providing money for the supplies and manpower to help prepare and/or deliver the food.
In addition to local outreach opportunities, Olive Knolls encourages serving globally as well. Following are some of the areas you might consider:
Work & Witness Trips: In 2018, Olive Knolls will send two teams to the innercity of Seattle to help minister to individuals there. Our Central California District has organized a Work & Witness trip to Kenya in July.
Alabaster Month: Each February we collect donations to help build church, school, and hospital facilities around the world.
Crisis Care Kits: This year our world has been rocked with hurricane and fire disasters. The Church of the Nazarene, as some of the first responders, help provide Crisis Care Kits for individuals to meet their basic needs. During the spring of each year, we have a drive to collect items for those kits.
Operation Christmas Child: We partner with Operation Christmas Child to help provide Christmas gifts packed into shoe boxes to be delivered to over 100 countries around the world.
World Vision: This is the 2nd year Olive Knolls has partnered with World Vision and the L.A. Marathon to help provide clean water wells for communities around the world.